Trekking the Shin-etsu Trail with an official guide is one of the best ways to get the most out of this wonderful experience. A guide can point out that rare plant that you might otherwise walk right by, or the faint traces of animals that have passed by, the history of the people who have passed through here over the centuries—they can reveal countless new discoveries! Many of the guides are from the local area, and are in touch with the nature of the Shin-etsu Trail area every day. We are confident that your interaction with the guide will help uncover the unique nature and culture of the area. Read more below, then feel free to contact us to arrange for your own guided hiking!
Registered Shin-etsu Trail guides
Only those people who meet all the conditions below can be considered for registration as an official Shin-etsu Trail guide. We see the role as a very important one that can help hikers to better connect with the area.
- Be a regular member of the Shin-etsu Trail Club;
- Have a thorough understanding of the purpose and content of Shin-etsu Trail Club activities;
- Have attended a guide course conducted by the Shin-etsu Trail Club;
- Have participated in the Shin-etsu Trail Club’s trail maintenance activities;
- Have completed general first aid training by the Japanese Red Cross;
- Always carry first aid kits with them when guiding, and know how to use them;
- Have thorough knowledge of the nature, culture and history of the Shin-etsu Trail area;
- Be able to guide guests while also following proper Trail etiquette;
- Have hiked all the main trail sections of the Shin-etsu Trail;
- Participate in Shin-etsu Trail Ranger activities.
Guide fees (for one guide)
Half-day (four hours or less):¥15,000
Full day (eight hours or less):
Note: times above are from the time the guide joins the group until they leave the group.
Maximum number of guests per guide
In principle, one guide will lead no more than eight guests, in order to ensure safety, environmental protection and guest.
- Please pay the guide fee to the Shin-etsu Trail Club.
- Guide times above are from the time the guide joins the group until they leave the group.
- If the guide is with the group for more than eight hours, a fee of ¥3,750 will be charged for each additional hour.
- If, depending on the course, the departure and arrival points are different, the guide will be responsible for transportation and related costs for travel to and from the points.
- Please note that, due to scheduling and the timing of the application, guides may not be available at all times. For corporate and other customers who may not know the final number of guests attending in advance, please use the contact form to notify the Shin-etsu Trail Club Secretariat.
Guide request form
※Please fill in the information below to reserve guide service for your desired dates. All fields marked by a red asterisk are required.